Friday, November 1, 2013
Tuesday, October 8, 2013
Thursday, August 22, 2013
Tuesday, April 16, 2013
Friday, March 22, 2013
Sunday, November 11, 2012
Wednesday, October 31, 2012
Thursday, June 14, 2012
Friday, May 4, 2012
Tuesday, March 6, 2012
Wednesday, February 29, 2012
I finished Esther today. I've documented the first part of the process in an earlier post if you're interested in the nuts and bolts. Here is the second half.
I started with a rough sketch on canvas:
Then did a very fast, loose painting with the intention of just getting color all over the canvas. At this point, it looks nothing like Esther. Not sure why I didn't get a shot of the whole thing.
Next, I spent ALOT of time on the face. I wanted to get it right first, because if you can get the face right, the rest of the stuff is pretty much a breeze. Here's a closeup of the face at this stage.
Next I reworked every bit of the canvas with a palette knife. I really glopped on paint here. I tried to bring out more depth and warmth to her face. Although I captured her pretty well, she looked pasty and cool.
A face closeup:
The table looked odd to me, so I added some color to it, and touched up a few final things. Like, the lemon now looks more like a lemon, and her arms look a little more natural. This is the finished canvas!
Here is a closeup of the finished hat.
And her face! Esther, you are a beautiful little girl!
Monday, February 20, 2012
Monday, January 16, 2012
Friday, January 6, 2012
My Lyrebird design, printed at Spoonflower, made into a stitched fabric wall hanging. The background came out too purple, I had wanted a navy blue. But other than that I'm happy with it. The lyrebird is an Austrailian native bird, known for it's ability to mimic sounds, and for the male bird's magnificent tail. This one is the "Superb Lyrebird" Menura novaehollandiae.
Thursday, January 5, 2012
Thursday, December 22, 2011
I snapped this photo of my friend Rachel's daughter Esther when they were visiting this summer, and I'm getting ready make an oil painting of it. To me this image is irresistable - the hat, her sly look, the bright colors - I have to paint it. So I've never done this before, but I'm taking photos of each step of the process and I'm going to post them here.
1) The original
2) Cropped to fit a long narrow canvas, which seemed to suit this compostion
3) Black and white
4) In photoshop, removing some of the unnecessary elements, the cross, the cup, the table in the background
5) Changed to outlines in photoshop so I can print what I'm going to sketch. This makes it so much easier!
6) Added my grid
7) My actual rough sketch on the canvas. It's pretty light.
8) In photoshop, I removed the stripes from the shirt, changed it to green, and manipulated the background color. I also adjusted the shadows and highlights. All this could be done when I'm in the painting process, looking at the orginal, but I prefer to get it right in photoshop, print it out, then just paint what I see.
Next step - PAINT! Stay tuned for more.
Wednesday, November 30, 2011
I think I finished a painting! This one has been in the works for maybe over half a year...It was my first commissioned painting, so I had nothing to do with the subject matter. I will say that it's harder to paint that way, because you don't share the passion for the subject in the same way that your client does. However, it was still fun and challenging to paint all these different animals. By the way, this is not a copy of one of the C.M. Coolidge paintings. I only borrowed the concept - and one of the dogs. All the dogs are my originals except for the little English bulldog which I adapted from his painting, "A Friend in Need".